Tips on Filing a Claim for a Water Leak, Flood, or Sewer Back-Up

February 22nd, 2023 in Flood Restoration
Tips on Filing a Claim for a Water Leak, Flood, or Sewer Back-Up

Water damage is terrible. Water can destroy furniture and belongings, buckle flooring, collapse ceilings, and damage drywall beyond repair. So, if you have or have had a water leak or flood, there is a good chance that you will need to file an insurance claim. Here are some of our best tips on how to do that. 

Stop the water 

The first thing to do is try to immediately stop the water. This may not be possible if the roof is leaking and it is raining. But if you have a pipe that is leaking, then you can shut off the main water valve to the house. The idea here is to try to stop things from getting worse than they already are. 

In the case of a sewer back-up, you will likely not be able to do anything yourself. This is a case where you will need professional help right away. 

Call your insurer 

Once you have stopped the water—if possible—call your insurer right away. The insurer will likely send someone very quickly to look at the damage and start the claim process. 

Make emergency repairs 

Sometimes the insurer can help you to get emergency repairs, but if you cannot wait for that, then arrange for emergency repairs yourself. For example, you will not be able to live for long in a house that has all the water turned off or sewer that is not working. 

Work with your insurer 

Keep in mind that if you are making a claim, you need to work with your insurer and speak with them several times. Try to remain calm and be polite with insurance people. Do not make an enemy of your insurer if you can avoid it. 

Look for documentation 

If you are trying to make a claim for expensive items or furniture that has been ruined, you will need to show proof of what the items are worth. So, now would be a good time to look for receipts and possibly photos of what you had. 

Most of us have to deal with a leak now and then at home or at the office. This is no fun, but it is part of owning property. If you need some immediate help with a leak, this is our area of expertise, and we can diagnose and fix the problem for you. Please call us on the Lower Mainland at (604) 349-5325 if you need help with your water leaks. 

604FixLeak offers leak detection, plumbing repairs and restoration services in the Greater Vancouver area. 

If you have any questions about this article or need some help with a leak in your home or office, call us today at (604) 349-5325.