5 Questions To Ask When Purchasing Home Flood Insurance

by admin August 9th, 2017 in Flood Restoration
Blog Image

In Vancouver BC, the weather is known to be wet. While rains are usually forecasted, at times large amounts of precipitation can be unforeseen. Flood damage means losses or damages caused by heavy rains or water overflowing from rivers, lakes or melting snow, causing run off. It is important to know the difference between flood damage and water damage, as you may not be insured for both. Before starting a flood restoration project, you will want to figure out if your insurance will cover the damage.

Most insurance companies offer certain types of coverage against water damages. A few questions to ask when you are purchasing insurance may be:

  • If water enters through the roof of my home, will I be covered?
  • Is flood damage bundled with insurance on my home for losses due to wind, fire and hail damage?
  • Is sewer back up covered in my insurance policy?
  • How am I protected against burst water mains?
  • What is the process for assessing a leak?

Not every leak that causes damage is covered by insurance. Typically, flood insurance premiums are quite high and therefore, flood damage may not be covered depending on your policy. Many homeowners first call their insurance providers when they discover leaking. Sometimes this is not the best course of action, as your insurance premiums could be increased by your provider at your next renewal period, simply because you have reported a leak.

Calling 604-FIX-LEAK for a professional opinion about a water leak situation will help to ensure that you are taking the right steps to resolve it. After consulting with us, you can make an informed decision about the best way to proceed with fixing your leak or water damage. We have the experience to recognize that type of leak and advise you on if it is covered by insurance. Remember, before you purchase any home insurance policy, ask questions about water damage and flood damage coverage.