5 Steps To Prepare Your Home For Fall Rain
Autumn is upon us and the dryer weather is coming to an end. With this in mind, it is time to prepare your home for the fall rain. The rainy season is coming and it’s important to be prepared! It’s the best time to invest in hiring a water leak detector, to avoid having to hire for flood restoration for something as simple as a basement water leak.
Here’s how to get fall rain ready:
- Clean your gutters. When it rains, you need to make sure there’s somewhere for the water to go. Make sure that your gutters are free of debris so water can flow freely. Stopped up gutters can wreak havoc on your roofline and cause property damage.
- Check your roof and skylights for damage. Ensure water doesn’t have an all access pass to get in through your rooftops. If you find damage, have it assessed and repaired as soon as possible. Take a good look at your shingles to make sure they aren’t missing or in disrepair.
- Assess your foundation. Basements are common locations for flooding. To avoid a leaking basement, take a look around for things like overgrown roots that may be impacting your drain tile and damp or stained basement walls or floors. These can be tell-tale signs of water damage.
- Inspect your siding. Siding helps protect your building envelope and helps you be more energy efficient. Make sure that everything is as it should be to avoid leaks and damage.
- Consider other ways water might get in. Think about your windows, chimney, and deck to ensure that your house isn’t at risk when the rains come.
The seasons are changing and it’s important to be ready. Your house is if your biggest investment and hiring a water leak detector is so much more cost effective than hiring in a flood restoration company. Don’t let basement water leaks get you down this fall – take these preventative steps so you can stay cool and dry.